Monday, February 28, 2011

a heavenly home

Haven't quite gotten the hang of this blog thing yet, but I'm going to try to be a little more consistent with my posts now. 


Have I mentioned that I love houses? or that we've moved 5 times in 11 years of marriage? And we're getting ready to make move #6? Except move #6 is a little more daunting. It's the "big" one. As in...(drumroll please) our dream house. y-i-k-e-s. for some reason, I am a little freaked out by this fact. Hubby is hesitant to even call it a dream house, for fear that "dream house" conjures up images of gilded statues in the lawn and a toilet seat warmer. He is the practical one - have I mentioned that? 

But for all intents and purposes this will be our dream house. And why not, I ask him. We've been saving and planning for this for years. But getting ready to build our possible forever home is more than nerve wracking for me. I don't know why really. Maybe it's the perfectionist in me, but I keep wondering if somehow I'll mess things up. I have a million what-ifs running through my head. What if the mudroom isn't big enough for the kids' 79 pairs of shoes? What if the southern exposure - midday sun fries my beautiful window mistreatments ala the Nester ? What if Chloe keeps locking Lauren out of the supposedly blissful Jack & Jill (or is it Jill & Jill??) bathroom they share? what if, what if, what if?

deep breath. when I start having these conversations with myself, I try to remember this: It doesn't matter! It doesn't matter one bit what kind of house we have, how big our house is, or where I'm going to store my old pottery barn catalogs. what matters most is the people who share this home with me and the kind of life that we live. 

Lord, help us to be thankful for your many many blessings. Help us to not set our sights on material things, but on the everlasting love you have freely given us. Help us to yearn for the heavenly home you've created for us. And hopefully there will be a nice sunny spot there where I can curl up and read a good magazine :)

*above image from the awesomely talented architects Shope Reno Wharton and no, that's not the house we're going to build. although it is pretty nice, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment